Moving Forward

Moving on from past pains and expectations to my awaiting and blessed future. Ignoring or confronting the ignorance walking steadily toward my destiny with God as the leader of my life. This is my life, my journey and I am going my way. Deal.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

N' Orleans

Every time I think about when I and my friend going to visit that city, walking around, being welcomed, laughing, gambling eating and exploring, every time I think about that city I smile. Then I sigh, and my eyes well up for I know it will never be that way, not like that again. Some of the culture moved on, some of the people out of necessity had to start new lives. Blessings to all of them that could, that are trying to. May favor fall on all of those who can't because of the pain, the hurt and the grieving.

Every time I think about the money we spend on Iraq, how much business Haliburton (sp?) has earned for themselves and the workers who daily risk their lives to create and fix their infrastructure but leave my people, the poor, the disenfranchsied, the middle class, and yes hugely black folks on the coast, I get so angry so mad that my govt' cares more about turning a dollar somewhere else that helping those who help keep this economy moving, who woke up every day glad to be an American, a citizen, who made the N' Orleans I remember. I get angry. I think about the businesses that had to go, the small businesses that had to leave, that will never recover. I am so angry and hurt. I am hurt that there are some out there that are so ignorant that they get caught up in their stereotypical responses, their dogmas, their parties that they lack the human capacity to see the people.

Via the pictures, it looks like a third world country a year later, but it is my United States. It is my home. It looks awful, the people are suffering and the government is sitting on its laurels instead of investing the time and the people to get this place, the coast, back together and on its way. Help at the least to get the infrastructure back, water pipes, gas pipes, electricity. My government sits on its laurels, but hey, they did have a dinner to commemorate today at the White House. They should help. The issue with the levees was known about for years. For years. The least they can do now is help fix the problem and assist for once in making sure that it is a fair situation and that the new businesses etc have to purchase the land and create neighborhoods that are inexpensive for the working class and the poor. some of those folks had their homes for generations. It is not fair for big business to be able to swoop in and create a place for additional income when this is where people used to live.

I am going to watch when the Levees Broke tonight, and I am going to cry, and I am going to send money when I can and my prayers to the folks who lived and those who perished - always.

I am not so relaxed to say that God will handle it. Yes, he will, through you and me. That is what we are down here for. To all those who make that ignorant statement, keep it to yourself. We are interconnected. We are suppose to help and uplift each other. When you make that statement that negates your responsibility. No, you cannot fix the world, and you were not asked to. But do not pretend as though those who see the destruction and get angry and want something done are ignorant fools who cannot see the hands of God. They can, and He is pushing them, calling them, asking them to do what they can, even if it is just sending a few dollars if possible. Those same people are the kind of folks who would have gone against Moses, cause why complain when things were better with the Pharoh? Why struggle and turn the waters and make them angry? Why eat manna in the wild when we get food in Egypt? Why march out of our "paradise" into the unknown, into the wild? The answer is that God called them to do so and to set them free. Frankly I see God's hand in that, the call to arms, not the call to sit on your butt and pretend you do not see, or that it could not possibly be you. It could be you. For that selfish reason alone, stop making statements like you get their pain and their angst. Their communities, their churches, their life - yes their lives are gone. I want them to move forward, but I do not want to become callus to their feelings. I would not sit back and let anyone make such a comment about the folks during 9/11 and I will not sit back and listen to that garbage now.

Truth - yeah some issues came with them moving into some of our communities. It happened all over. But there are bad apples in every bunch, heck there was some there before they came. No, I do not want them to add to the issues, but it ain't all their fault either.

I can't do much but I will do what I can. That is all that I can do. However, when the Levees broke it was a call to me that it is time to stop sitting on my butt and start trying to assist in making changes when and where I can. I have not regretted making this decision. I will not look back.