Moving Forward

Moving on from past pains and expectations to my awaiting and blessed future. Ignoring or confronting the ignorance walking steadily toward my destiny with God as the leader of my life. This is my life, my journey and I am going my way. Deal.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Strong Black Woman, Kathy Griffin special

OK. I was not going to post about this. I saw it on another persons site and wondered what do others think. I do not think this woman is funny. She is irritating to me. I also do not think that she means to insult. She just did so with her title and her complete and utter ignorance.

Being a black woman, a strong black woman in this day and age ain't no joke. I gotta mean mug ignant folk. I gotta fight too much. I gotta toe the line of letting you be aware that BS and I ain't friends but no, I don't want to fight with you about this, I just want a discussion. I know the women are getting what I am referring to, and guys you pro'lly got an idea too.

I do not need any woman in a public arena who cannot acknowledge or respect my plight taking what I am and gotta be day in and day out and making it into a joke. Period. That is why I am a womanist and not a feminist because, on the real, white feminist too often do not get it. They say and do things that are disrespectful or just plain callous. I can't be bothered. They periodically do so to women of color. It is because they do not want to say it. They are privileged, they live, grow up etc. in a society that honors and protects them. Essence did an article about the ridiculous number of black women missing that are never put on television, there are not any statewide or city/county wide searches for. The number is crazy. I am sure that the number is crazy for other races/cutlures too, but we are not that privileged to have someone honor and want to protect us in that way. I am not saying that black folks don't care, I am saying that somehow we are expected to make it or to accept the situation as is. There is no media circus, nothing happens unless they suspect that the person who did something to them was involved in a crime of some sort. Other than that, no dice. Nothing shows up on our tv screens.

Strong black women keep their kids safe, attend school, go to work, work with their men, do their thing and do it successfully against a multitude of odds every day. Strong black women balance out their lives, are beautiful and vulnerable and push on anyway and believe in themselves despite the garbage they are dished.

I don't need someone who will not fight to save my children, never understood that I am a warrior out here for him and I, for all of us struggling, confused, beautiful, focused, intelligent, loving, caring, hurting, healing black folk. I do not need someone who does not get it to make that type of show with who and what I am and what I represent being exploited as a joke. I do not need someone who can't tell if a black person is blushing to call herself a strong black woman. She is the joke. She certainly cannot tell a joke. I know that comedians are suppose to push the envelope and let society see themselves no mater how painful and wrap it up in laughter, but this is pushing it way too far. I will probably sit down and watch her show and write Bravo a complaint letter if her routine is ridiculous. I wonder how much of an outcry there would be if a black comedian put out a show called Weak, Whiny, Privileged White Chick? Can you imagine the outcry?

*Disclaimer - I do not know of any such show. To my knowledge women of all races have their strong and their bad points. If you are offended please note that I am making a point. If you are still offended, please cease and desist reading my blog. I am not always politically correct.

Until I watch it, she gets placed in the stupid corner. There she goes, all smiley and happy with the rest of the idiots. I feel a whole lot better. Umm, she is stupid. Gotta go now.

Kita